How often do you get a physical? For the past 20+ years, I have gotten one every year. The poking, the prodding, the blood work…you know the drill. There is critical bench-marking done during this annual ritual including comparisons from the previous procedures as well as discussions about “best practices” for a person my age, height and family history. I learn things I need to work on for the upcoming year and behaviors I need to improve, add or terminate (like weight… sodium…fatty food). This is all meant for my good and longevity…none of the suggested changes are done to hurt me or shorten my life span, but rather to extend my life and productivity. Besides, we are the temple of God…right?
So, what about a “physical” for our ministry facilities (the other temple)? Do they need a physical? How is your Facility Stewardship initiatives being implemented?
Let’s take a pre-physical assessment to see if you can answer all of the below questions (don’t worry, there are no HIPAA issues):
1. What is the effective life expectancy of the roof(s) at your facility?
2. How many more years will your HVAC systems last and how much will they cost to replace?
3. Are your electrical systems/components safe and utilizing current technology to increase efficiency?
4. What kind of “First Impression” will your facilities have on a guest?
5. How do your operational costs compare to similar facility bench-marking?
6. Are your facilities safe?
7. Do your facilities meet code(s)?
8. Do you have any “Life Safety” issues that could be a hazard to your members and guests?
9. Do you have adequate Capital Reserves?
10. Are your facilities as energy efficient as possible and are you keeping up with the changes in technology and laws?
My guess is that the majority of you either could not answer these questions or answered them in the negative instead of affirmative…thus the statement – What you don’t know can hurt you!
So, how do you “know” the answer to these questions? What we recommend is a Facility Assessment…a physical. I have been very encouraged lately to see more and more churches investing in the “knowing” what condition their facility is in and then taking steps to address the current and long term issues associated with any/every/all facilities. NOTE: A physical is one the first step…implementation is the real purpose behind any assessment.
So…what can you do to get “in the know”?
We strongly encourage churches to perform or hire someone to perform, various levels of Facility Assessments. There are a variety of complexities and methods that must be considered…and each has their place. Below are some of the most common assessments that our team has been asked to perform:
- “Fresh Eyes” Assessment – A “10,000 foot view” of your facility/campus with the perspective of a first time guest(s).
- Physical Facility Assessment – A detailed approach to reviewing the major systems, building components and Life Cycle projections (including potential replacement costs)
- Operational Processes and Cost Assessment
- Facility Staffing Assessment
- Deferred Maintenance Assessment
- Preventive Maintenance Review and Plan Development
- Implementation Recommendations and Process
Call us today to make your appointment to see the “doctor”.