A few years ago, I attended a conference sponsored by Shelby Systems. On this particular day, the guest speaker for the session was Mr. Dan Busby, President of ECFA (Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability). This was one of the best plenary teaching times I have heard in some time. Dan is one smart guy…and has tremendous insight regarding financial issues. But what stuck with me, was his passion for the Lord and His people. This was so refreshing to me…so…I asked Dan if I could share the outline that he taught from…for which he graciously consented…thanks Dan.
KEYS TO SUCCESS IN UNCERTAIN TIMES (I would add…for all times)
- Practice Integrity – Integrity has no need for rules. (This really struck me…how many of us try to legislate integrity?)
- Talk Straight – Let your yes be yes…and your no be no
- Listen Aggressively – “When was the last time you were criticized for listening too much?” (Norm Augustine – Lockheed Martin)
- Ignite Trust – Low trust exposes everything (this concept is further explained in the best selling book “The Speed of Trust” by Stephen MR Covey)
- Create Margin – In all you do…including but not limited to time, personal finances, business finances, commitments, etc. (A great resource for this is Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives by Richard A. Swenson)
- Require Simplicity – “If you cannot explain something simply, you don’t know enough about it.” ~Albert Einstein
- Insist on Flexibility – While we can learn from history, history has never been here before.
Dan finished the session by saying, “Success is having clearly defined goals consistent with God’s plan and faithfully meeting them with integrity.”
These are great lessons for all of us…whether in business, church leadership, or our families.