That’s right…we are going to talk underwear. But more than comparing underwear, we are going to explore how this relates to our church facility. Stick with me.
In my underwear drawer at home, I have a selection of boxers (I am one of those guys). About 50% are Ralph Lauren Polo…and the others are predominantly Gildan. The other day I was struck by a recurring thought about how I (we) spend the money God has entrusted to us and the ramifications. I know…underwear?!?!?!? Hang in there.
As I stared at the under garments in my drawer, I had the following thoughts related to their similarities:
- All of them do “the job” of covering my body
- All perform basically the same “task”
- Most fit me about the same…with some variations with the Gildan
- They all have elastic waist bands
- They all are about the same length
Then I started thinking about the differences:
- I paid nearly double for the Polo products…not quite double
- The polo have a more comfortable waistband…but I can live with the other
- The quality of the fabric of the polo is of a higher grade
But here is the kicker…I had some Polo garments that were 4-5 years old, while the Gildan were showing need for replacement in about half that time. Then the correlation to our facilities came rushing in.
In fact…it appears that I will spend the same amount of money over the 4-5 year period. And if I had invested in the Polo, I would have also been able to enjoy the other benefits shared above.
Makes you think, doesn’t it?