Contribution by Deborah Ike, President and Founder of Velocity Ministry Management
Of course, I’m not talking about actual fires (go ahead and put those out). I’m referring to those proverbial fires where you’re running from one crisis to the next. That’s what I see happening all too often with churches and their events. Every ministry department wants to host several events throughout the year (often “planned” a few weeks instead of a few months ahead of time) PLUS the church as a whole hosts events as well. All of this activity results in exhausted staff, frustrated volunteers, less-than-optimal events, and a congregation overwhelmed by so many event announcements.
Here’s what I often see:
- The 1-2 weeks before an event, it’s all-hands-on-deck with nearly every other task dropped so all staff members can focus on last minute details for an event
- No one knows all of the events coming up for the next 12 months
- Facilities team members are often caught by surprise with requests for room setup and support
- No single individual has a full understanding of how event plans are coming along or what’s supposed to happen the day of the event
- Volunteers are frustrated with a lack of clear direction, training, or communication from staff
- There are a lot of event planning meetings happening but rarely are firm decisions made or actions taken after those meetings
- There’s a last-minute rush to try and get enough event volunteers
- The staff barely finishes one event and already has to scramble to work on the next one…that’s coming up in a couple of weeks
Let’s stop the madness, folks.
There’s a much easier, less stressful, and a more strategic way to host events at your church. It involves planning ahead, thinking through what’s best (not just what’s good), and being disciplined in your approach. It’s a bit like eating nutritious food and exercising. Neither is super exciting but both result in more energy and better health.
If this problem sounds a bit too familiar, join us for the Proactive Event Planning Webinar on October 25th. I’ll outline a proven process for planning events – one that will help you plan more impactful and less stressful events for your church. Click here to reserve your spot today.
I’m looking forward to equipping you with a practical, straightforward process that can yield incredible results for your church.