Over the past 4 years, our team has done numerous Facility Condition Assessments. These are evaluations of a church facility that include:
- Fresh Eyes Assessment
- Identification of deferred maintenance
- Development of a Capital Reserve Plan
- Bench-marking of facility operational expenses
As we have analyzed these assessments (which every church should have done) we have identified a significant pattern…and not a good one. What we have seen in every one of the FCA’s we have performed, where the facility has some level of deferred maintenance (which has been all), there are 3 significant budget line items that are underfunded:
- General Maintenance Budget – the stuff you need to do to keep up with the natural rate of deterioration and wear/tear.
- Facility Staffing – Best practices have been proven that you need 1 full time general maintenance staff member for every 35,000 SF of facilities.
- Capital Reserves – these churches have deferred as they did not properly plan for the inevitable costs of capital replacement and renewal.
So…how do we remedy this? GREAT QUESTION!
The easy answer is increase the budget for each of these. There you have it…case closed. NOT!
Most churches cannot immediately increase their budgets to be in keeping with intentional Facility Stewardship. This means we need another approach. Consider these:
- What if we could make our current staff more effective and efficient?
- What if we could free up 10-30% of their time to inspect the facility? I would suggest that this kind of increase would reduce the calculation of the number of full time staff needed.
- What if the time they had on-the-job was utilized to perform tasks that only a human can perform?
- Perform a periodic walk through, meet with vendors and negotiate the best rates, get on the roof every month?
- Verify all the emergency lights are operational.
With the introduction of the INTERNET OF THINGS over a decade ago, there are few reasons or excuses to not add automation to the routine and mundane tasks of setting HVAC setting, unlocking doors, setting up digital signage. What if you could automate those tasks…how much more time would your staff have?
If you have not added FACILITeSPACE to your facility automation…now is the time! *Click below for more information.
For the past decade, the term “smart” has been used to identify devices and physical environments that have incorporated technology to produce integration, inter-connectivity and system processing that does not rely solely on human interaction.
- SMART Phone
- SMART House
- SMART Building
- SMART Car
Well…Cool Solutions Group and eSPACE have a new term that is not a fad or a “Star Trek” kind of futuristic fantasy. Ready…
That’s right…your church building can now be SMART. What does that even mean?!?! How can an inanimate object be smart? It is like the Scarecrow…it does not have a brain…or does it? With the newly release FACILITeSPACE module to the eSPACE suite of Facility Management software applications, we have given your church building a brain…well sort of. While we cannot literally give your facility any gray matter, we have just released the next best thing.
FACILITeSPACE is the ONLY application that allows your church to integrate your event/facility scheduling software to many of your major building systems:
- COOLSPACE – HVAC integration with Building Automation and WiFi thermostats
- SECURESPACE – Door access controls
- INFOSPACE – Comprehensive system to integrate with your digital signage and digital room signage
- TECHSPACE – Coming Soon! – Will provide integration and alerts with early detection sensors (think water leak detection, overheated electrical panels and devices, humidity control, IT closet temperature….get the point…and turn on projectors and TV’s when an even it scheduled – WOW!)
- BRIGHTSPACE – Coming Soon! – Integration to lighting throughout your facility
Imagine…you schedule your event in eSPACE (or one of our integration partners) and it:
- Turns the HVAC on in time for the event and then turns it off after the event
- Unlocks/Locks whatever doors you need access (that have digital controls) for that event
- Lists the schedule and other event data on the digital signage through your building
- Displays the events on the digital door sign
- Turns on the TV or Projector for the event
- Turns on and off the needed lights for the event
- Alerts your facility team and appropriate vendors if there is a significant issue
This is not a fairy tale…this is the world of IoT (Internet of Things) and the future is NOW.
Contact our team for more information and let the OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCIES BEGIN!
What to learn more? Join us for an informational Webinar on Thursday, December 6, 2018, at 2:00pm EST. Sign up HERE to join this Free webinar.